I’m currently attending private liberal arts college in the Midwest. Even though there are less than 500 students, there are multitude of opportunities. A few of the many opportunities relate to adopting a more sustainable lifestyle.
- I always have assignments and social events consuming my time. This means that I barely have time to shop. This reduces unnecessary fast-fashion purchases/impulse buys and helps me save for legitimate expenses.
- They’re aren’t any fast food restaurants nearby (the closest one is 20 minutes away). This reduces waste and unhealthy decisions.
- Everywhere on campus walking distance so I only drive when I go out of town. I usually only use my car once per week to for a Target run or volunteer session at a co-op grocery store (which sells locally sourced and organic groceries).
- Water bottle filling stations are abundant. I can proudly say that I haven’t used a disposable bottle once!
- Plant-based foods and dessert options!
- My school emphasizes recycling and composting. As a result, only about 20% of my trash actually goes to the landfill.
- Many students and faculty are sustainably-minded. This encourages me to follow my heart and aspire to improve the world, one thing at a time.